The Leader As Storyteller™
In his study of leadership, Harvard Professor Howard Gardner found that "the key to leadership ... is effective communication of a story." Telling stories is more than a folksy way to relate to others. It is a powerful and persuasive vehicle that top leaders use to get their message across with maximum impact and minimum resistance. Logic, reason, and data lead to conclusions; stories tap emotions and lead to action. Stories move people.
Today's most effective leaders know how to use various story templates to communicate their vision, win buy-in for their ideas, transmit values, and inspire their people.
An outstanding leader will use stories to
- Tell who they are, building credibility and rapport with their listeners
- Explain what their interests are, to disarm skeptics and build trust
- Introduce their company and promote their brand
- Communicate their vision, generating buy-in and inspiring others
- Drive change
- Give feedback, motivate, and change behavior, without giving advice or commands
- Teach important lessons and communicate key personal and organizational values
This one-day workshop is designed to give leaders an appreciation for the power of stories and how to use stories for several important purposes. Leaders will have a chance to develop their own stories, as well as stories for their company/product/service. Participants will leave with personal stories to tell so they can begin moving people immediately.
Who should attend
Leaders, department heads, C-level officers, senior managers, sales managers, lawyers, government officials, entrepreneurs, professional speakers, trainers, educators, public relations and corporate communications officers.